The latest NextGEN Gallery Beta is available to download and it’s a major one. Below are instructions for NextGEN Gallery 2.0 Beta and extremely important items to know before using the beta plugin.
- NextGEN Gallery 2.0 contains substantial changes to the plugin structure which means there is are potentials for theme and/or plugin conflicts
- We highly recommend only using this beta release on a website not in production. Do not use this beta plugin on a live/production website.
- Back up your site first (both server files & MySQL Database)
- Might be incompatible with some third-party plugins/extension including mobile apps.
- Beta-quality software could potentially contain issues, so please use it at your own risk and discretion.
Click here to download NextGEN Gallery 2.0 Beta.
To install the beta version of NextGEN Gallery for the first time, download the beta and then Go to Plugins >> Add New > Upload > Pick the beta ZIP file > ‘Install Now’ > ‘Activate’
To replace an existing NextGEN Gallery plugin, download the beta, extract (or unpack) the plugin and replace the wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery files and folder content with the beta version and you’re all set.
NextGEN Gallery 2.0 has been completely redesigned, with a variety of new and improved features. We will be highlighting some of the changes on the blog in the upcoming weeks.
- Improved user experience throughout the plugin, settings and usage.
- New Plupload queue uploader that allows for bulk and zip uploads within the same interface.
- Complete redesign of the NextGEN options panel
- Added new interface for adding galleries from pages and posts.
- Galleries are now mobile friendly and responsive, which is most noticeable with a responsive theme.
- Streamlined functionality for displaying galleries based on tags.
- Replaces shortcodes with placeholder images, however still supports legacy shortcodes.
- Using a NextGEN image as a Featured Image.
- New architecture based on Pope Framework.
- New shortcode, “ngg_images”, and corresponding Attach to Post interface
- Introduced new Growl-like notifications
- The container and it’s images are centered for slideshows
- Galleries have now global and instance settings
- NextGEN styles now override vs replace default styles
- Support for FastCGI environments
- NextGEN legacy templates have been deprecated (but still function)
- 2.0 does not modify existing database tables.
To retrieve images from gallery 1 & 3, but exclude images 4 & 6:
[ ngg_images gallery_ids="1,3" exclusions="4,6" display_type="photocrati-nextgen_basic_thumbnails" ]
To retrieve images 1 & 2 from gallery 1:
[ ngg_images gallery_ids="1" image_ids="1,2" display_type="photocrati-nextgen_basic_thumbnails" ]
To retrieve images matching tags “landscapes” and “wedding shoots”:
[ ngg_images tag_ids="landscapes,wedding shoots" display_type="photocrati-nextgen_basic_thumbnails" ]
To retrieve galleries from albums 1 & #, but exclude sub-album 1:
[ ngg_images album_ids="1,2" exclusions="a1" display_type="photocrati-nextgen_basic_compact_album" ]
To retrieve galleries from albums 1 & 2, but exclude gallery 1:
[ ngg_images album_ids="1,2" exclusions="1" display_type="photocrati-nextgen_basic_compact_album" ]
To retrieve image 2, 3, and 5 – independent of what container is used
[ ngg_images image_ids="2,3,5" display_type="photocrati-nextgen_basic_thumbnails" ]
To retrieve galleries 3 & 5, custom sorted, in album view
[ ngg_images source="albums" gallery_ids="3,5" display_type="photocrati-nextgen_basic_compact_album" ]
To retrieve recent images, sorted by alt/title text
[ ngg_images source="recent" order_by="alttext" display_type="photocrati-nextgen_basic_thumbnails" ]
To retrieve random image
[ ngg_images source="random" display_type="photocrati-nextgen_basic_thumbnails" ]
To retrieve a single image
[ ngg_images image_ids='8' display_type='photocrati-nextgen_basic_singlepic' ]
To retrieve a tag cloud
[ ngg_images tagcloud=yes display_type='photocrati-nextgen_basic_tagcloud' ]
For more on this, visit the Shortcodes Documentation page.
Upcoming Blog Post Highlights
- New Interface
- Adding Galleries to Pages/Posts
- Options Panel
- Individualized Customization Per Galleries on Pages/Posts
Instructions for Downgrading
To downgrade, simple replace the nextgen-gallery plugin folder with the current stable version in the WordPress directory. Please note that any Attach To Post galleries that you create in 2.0 beta will not show in the front end.
Galleries still exist, but you will have to convert the Attach To Post placeholder to a legacy shortcode.
Known 2.0 Beta Issues
The following are known issues in 2.0 beta that will be functional in the official 2.0 release:
- 2.0 beta will not work on sub sites in a multisite environment (it will work on the main site).
- Automatic resizing default is not functioning. (Resize to preference before uploading).
- Flash message shows prior to a flash slideshow loading (noticeable on slower websites).
- Changes to galleries are not refreshed in the Attach To Post interface. After making a major change, please close the ATP and re-open.
- Uninstallation of 2.0 currently does not remove all images. Some images may be stored in /wp-content/galleries/.
- There is no option to overwrite customized galleries with global settings.
- Translations for previous versions of NextGEN Gallery will continue to work, but we have no added support for internationalization. Support for translations will be added in a stable version of 2.0.
- In IE, newly displayed galleries will default to the top of the page or post.
- Third-party plugins will likely stop functioning until they have been updated to support the new 2.0 structure.
- The Display Related Images functionality does not work.
- NextGEN Galley 2.0 is not yet E_STRICT compatible.
- SinglePic can not yet be added through the Attach To Post Interface.
We will be releasing developer documentation shortly. Please subscribe to the developer list to be notified when that is available.
Report Found Issues
We want to see as much participation as possible and as much feedback as possible during your beta testing experience. Please note that we may not be able to respond immediately.
Please submit a bug with temporary WordPress credentials and FTP information whenever possible so we can help diagnose any issues needing immediate attention.